Some of the questions Doctors ask us most.

How long will it take for me to be able to work in Australia?

There is no easy answer to this question, as the level of paperwork has a lot to do with how long it takes. At an absolute minimum for a simple junior doctor with no complications, the registration period is usually around six to eight weeks. Typically you should allow three to six months for registration in order to cater for delays and further documentation.

For complicated senior placements it would be safe to estimate the registration time at around six months, but this could be longer depending on paperwork.

How long will it take for me to be able to work in New Zealand?

New Zealand has one registering body, the Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ). You do not need to present your application in person; you can submit it on paper a maximum of 6 months from your intended start date, though the length of process will depend on the registration pathway you are applying for. Once approved, you will need to attend a face to face meeting with the MCNZ with your original documentation when you arrive in New Zealand and have your Certificates of Good Standing approved before you are eligible to start work.

How much can I earn as a locum in Australia?

Locum rates are not fixed and can vary considerably depending on a number of factors, including location, seniority, hospital or private clinic, specialty and the level of responsibility of the role.

Typically a GP only locum can earn between $1000 and $1500 a day. For GP/VMO (Hospital Visitation) doctors, the daily rate can be up to $2000 a day and specialist consultants can be paid up to $2500 per day. In some cases, the rates will be paid hourly rather than on a daily basis.

Please Note: These rates are a guideline only. As the locum market can fluctuate greatly, rates are subject to rapid changes.

How much can I earn as a locum in NZ?

Locum rates are in most cases negotiable, though the base range varies depending on location, the length of the placement, accommodation and travel requirements, the kind of practice and any extra skills that are required. Locum placements for GPs in rural areas, smaller towns and cities will in most cases provide accommodation and a vehicle, and cover flights within New Zealand. In most cases the hourly (or per half-day session) rate of payment will be higher in these locations too. It is far less common to be offered free accommodation and reimbursement of travel costs for locum roles in New Zealand’s largest cities, though the rate of payment is very reasonable.

Specialist and Hospital Medical Officer locum rates again vary depending on area of medicine, location, urgency, length of placement and other requirements.

How does tax work in Australia?

Ochre Recruitment are not able to directly provide you with taxation advice. However we do have a partnership with a specialist firm, William Buck, who can give you specific information pertaining to your individual circumstances.

How does tax work in New Zealand?

We are not in a position to give taxation advice but would recommend that you look at the New Zealand Inland Revenue Department (IRD) website.

If you are working as an employee in New Zealand you will be required to get an IRD Number. Employees have their tax deducted prior to being paid. This is known as PAYE (Pay as You Earn). Ochre Recruitment can assist you to apply for your IRD number when you arrive in New Zealand.

If your country has a double tax agreement with New Zealand and you are in New Zealand for less than 183 days it is expected that you will pay tax on your earnings in your home country. Independent contractors get paid the full amount without tax deducted but then must arrange payment of tax to the IRD if you are in New Zealand for more than 183 days or to their home country if they are in New Zealand for less than 183 days.

If you are a working as a contractor you will need to get an IRD number and you may need to become registered for Goods and Services Tax (GST). We will arrange for you to discuss this with the IRD non-resident contractor’s team when you are here in New Zealand.

Still have questions?

Contact Us