Healing the Healers March 2023 - A Doctors Retreat
Prioritise Your Well-being for Change: A Retreat for Doctors
Doctors are some of the busiest people on the planet, and it is important that they take time for themselves to prevent burnout and maintain their well-being. That’s why The Healing the Healers team is holding its second retreat specifically designed to help doctors with burnout prevention.
During this retreat being held in Bellingen March 17 - 19, doctors will learn ways to combat burnout, build self-compassion, practice DBT skills, use creative writing as a tool, meditate, practice yoga and qigong, do pilates and journaling activities, play games, and connect with others.
Let's explore the many benefits of attending if you're a doctor.
Why Doctors Need This Retreat
- Burnout is an all too common problem in the medical community.
- Studies have found that up to 50% of physicians experience significant levels of burnout.
- The leading causes of burnout include long hours of work with little breaks or holidays from work; excessive paperwork; lack of control over one’s working environment; and financial pressures.
- The consequences can be severe and can include depression, physical illness, drug abuse, suicide ideation and even suicide attempts.
That’s why it is so important for doctors to prioritise their well-being and take proactive steps toward preventing burnout. Healing the Healers retreat will give you the tools you need to do just that.
What You Can Expect at the Retreat
During this retreat, you'll engage in a range of activities designed to help you manage stress better while providing strategies for improving your overall well-being. These activities will include:
- Meditation sessions focusing on calming your mind and reducing stress levels;
- Yoga classes focusing on breathing techniques that increase relaxation;
- Qigong classes that emphasise slow movements designed to increase energy flow through your body;
- Pilates classes designed to strengthen core muscles while increasing flexibility;
- Journaling activities that allow you to explore your thoughts without judgement or criticism;
- Creative writing exercises enabling you to express yourself creatively through words;
- Game activities that provide fun opportunities for connection with other participants;
- DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) skill-building sessions help build coping skills to manage difficult emotions.
What Doctors Thought of the inaugural Retreat in 2022
"It is incredibly therapeutic to be able to share your vulnerabilities with other professionals and feel safe, supported, and not judged. The weekend took me places I thought I would never go (eg writing class) and opened my eyes to other possibilities. I found there is great value in viewing your work and life through a different prism. It may not change your life but it will allow you to reflect on things differently." Sydney GP, Peter
"Healing the Healers retreat was a fabulous, connecting, and relaxing event which I am so glad I attended. The presenters ran a wide variety of sessions which were indeed healing and so helpful, ranging from practical, cognitive, emotional, creative, physically active/somatic and therapeutic angles. They created a safe, reflective, and inspiring environment for learning, and if we wished, for sharing with others. I loved how we participants learned from the presenters, but also learned from and encouraged each other in our shared quest to keep our own well-being high on our agendas while we lead our busy lives caring for so many others. This was a thoroughly enjoyable, useful, quality event full of meaningful content and so much variety in the range of topics and activities covered. I hope this wonderful team runs many more similar events and I recommend them wholeheartedly." Melbourne GP, Sarah
Taking time out for yourself is not always easy when you are busy working as Doctor and are juggling study and family commitments. If you are looking for ways to cope better with stress or prevent burnout, this event is definitely worth considering.
Our friends at the BurnOut Project are offering all Ochre Doctors a 10% discount. Simply use the code WELLBEING10 at the checkout to redeem your discount.
What are you waiting for? Join Dr. Claire Noonan, Dr. Amy Imms, and Veronica Sutherland for a healing and inspiring weekend, March 17 - 19 at beautiful Bellingen.