FAQs for Job Candidates

At Ochre recruitment, we make every effort to plainly provide information in a logical format to all doctors who are looking for career opportunities in permanent, part-time and locum capacities. However, there are instances where job seekers require further elaboration about the services we provide. What follows are answers to the questions that we encounter the most. To simplify things, we’ve divided the FAQs into two sections: All Doctors, and; International Doctors. 

If you have any enquiries that have not been addressed below, please contact us.

FAQs — All Doctors

  • Are Ochre Recruitment and Ochre Health one and the same?

    Ochre Recruitment and Ochre Health operate under the Ochre Health Group. 

    Ochre Recruitment actually preceded our medical centre operations, having been founded in 2002. Ochre Health is a leading primary healthcare provider to rural and regional communities across the eastern seaboard of Australia. Ochre Recruitment has since grown to help hospitals and general practices across Australia and New Zealand.

  • What’s the difference between a medical recruitment agency and a generic jobs site like Seek?

    An agency like Ochre Recruitment will provide you with your own personal recruitment consultant. 

    We will provide confidential advice regarding your next career move, market insights and access to our network of practices and hospitals. We negotiate on your behalf and regard you as a partner for life. The best part is that our service is free of charge. A jobs site like Seek will simply list jobs for you to apply for without much context and offer no personalised service.

  • There are loads of Medical Recruitment agencies—what makes Ochre Recruitment different?

    Ochre Recruitment is different in many ways, including but not limited to the following: 

    • We are doctor-owned and managed
    • We are part of the iconic Ochre Health Group who own a growing medical practice network across Australia
    • We specialise in general practice and rural generalism
    • We respect the clinical expertise of our doctors.
  • Are there any upfront fees for job candidates?

    There are no fees for doctors. We offer a free service to doctors of all grades and specialties.

  • How do I apply for a role on the Ochre Recruitment website?

    Simply complete this quick and easy registration form and we’ll do the rest.

  • Why Register with Ochre Recruitment?

    Registering with us means that you are joining the Ochre community of doctors. 

    You’ll have access to your own customised desktop page, giving you access to locum and permanent jobs matched to your chosen preferences, as well as access to your personal consultant. You’ll decide how regularly you want to receive emails and SMS and you’ll have the ability to update your details at any time.

  • I’m a locum doctor. How do I get paid?

    The available options are determined by the practice or hospital and based on their on-hire procedures. If there is more than one option available, you choose the one you would like. 

    1. PAYG employee of Ochre Health
    2. Pty Ltd contractor of Ochre Health
    3. ABN sole trader 
    4. PAYG employee of practice or hospital.
  • I’m a locum doctor. Do you book my flights?

    If the practice or hospital is paying for the flights we will book your flights for you. 

  • Does Ochre Recruitment have a Privacy Policy?

    Yes. We take both your privacy and data protection very seriously.  Please visit ochrerecruitment.com/privacy

FAQs — International Doctors

  • Can I work anywhere in New Zealand?

    Yes. There are no restrictions on what locations you can work in within New Zealand. Though different locations offer varying benefits and opportunities so we take into account you and your family’s needs and lifestyle when looking at suitable areas.

  • Can my family and I apply for residency in New Zealand?

    If you are 55 years or younger then you may be eligible for a Skilled Migrant Resident Visa. This includes your partner and any dependent children aged 24 or under. A recruitment consultant can discuss whether this is an appropriate pathway for you.

    For more information go to the NZ Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa page.

  • Can my partner also work in New Zealand?

    If you are working in NZ for longer than 6 months then your partner is able to get a partnership work visa off the back of your work visa. They will not be restricted to a workplace or the type of work they do.

  • What is provided if I come to New Zealand for a locum job?

    It depends on location. Most rural and small towns provide accommodation, a vehicle and one return trip to the practice within New Zealand. Big cities like Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Tauranga and Christchurch usually use locally based locums so do not provide anything other than an hourly / daily rate.

  • As an overseas doctor who wishes to work in New Zealand, how do I pay tax?

    NZ has double tax agreements with a selection of countries. This means if your presence in NZ is for under 183 days, then depending on what country you live in you are exempt paying tax in NZ and instead declare your NZ earnings in your home country. If your visit to NZ is for longer than 183 days or you are relocating to NZ then you will need to apply for a tax number; we help you with this of course!

    Please visit our trusted financial partners Hnry for all the information you need to know about paying tax as an international doctor in New Zealand. View their website here 

  • As a doctor coming from New Zealand to work in Australia, how do I pay tax?

    All doctors working in Australia require a Tax File Number (TFN). You can only apply for a TFN after arriving in Australia and they can take up to 28 days to be processed. 

    Apply for a Tax File Number here

  • Can I get a permanent visa to work in Australia?

    Doctors usually start work in Australia on a subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage visa and then apply for a permanent visa after they are in the country. 

    This is because you need to hold medical registration before you apply for a permanent visa, whereas for the 482 visa, an "in-principle approval" letter from AHPRA is sufficient.

  • Is there an age limit for getting a permanent visa?

    Yes, most work-related permanent visas have an age limit of under 45 years old. 

    There are exemptions for doctors who are over the age limit. The three main pathways to permanent residence are: applying for a permanent visa independently; asking your employer to support you; or applying through state/territory nomination.

  • How long do I need to be with the same employer?

    This firstly depends on your contract. GPs often work as independent contractors in Australia, not as employees. 

    The 482 visa allows you to work as a doctor for multiple employers at the same time, so long as you continue to fulfil your contractual obligations to the sponsoring employer. If you are later applying for permanent residence through your employer, you are expected to remain with your employer for two years after the permanent visa is granted.

  • How do I qualify for medical registration in Australia?

    There are a variety of pathways to obtain medical registration in Australia, but Ochre Recruitment only works with General Practitioners who qualify for the RACGP's Practice Experience Program - Specialist Stream. 

    You will need to be recognised as a specialist in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, Sweden, the Netherlands, Spain or Malta. 

  • Will I be required to work in regional Australia?

    Overseas-trained GPs are restricted to work in certain locations to address the shortage of doctors in rural and remote Australia. 

    The 482 visa requires GPs to include a Health Workforce Certificate with their application, which is usually only issued for regional positions.  

  • Can my family members work and study in Australia?

    Yes, as dependent visa holders, your family members have full work and study rights in Australia. 

    Other than job-specific requirements—the public service only employs Australian citizens, for example—there are no work restrictions from an immigration point of view. Depending on which state/territory you're relocating to, public education is free.

  • Does Ochre Recruitment offer assistance with Visa applications?

    Yes. We are partnered with Lucy Huang (MARN: 1169908) at Esperance Migration, who specialises in visa applications for doctors coming to Australia.

    Once your registration application is complete, Lucy can assist with the visa process to draft, lodge and manage your application until your visa is finalised. This is for an additional professional fee, but you are welcome to make initial enquiries by email: [email protected]

a call